Staffers at one of Broward County‘s three emergency communications centers were sickened Tuesday by foul odors, the second time in a month that such conditions brought firefighters to the Coconut Creek facility.
Twenty-two employees were removed from the building at 4900 W. Copans Rd. after complaining of the smell and symptoms including headaches, dizziness and nausea, said Jeffery Gary, fire marshal for Margate/Coconut Creek Fire Rescue.
The agency and Coral Springs Fire Rescue took six workers to Northwest Medical Center in Margate after the 10 a.m. call, Gary said.
Unlike the prior incident on June 11, when the air was contaminated after batteries in an equipment room became overheated, the source of Tuesday’s offending odors was not immediately determined, officials said.
Last month, 16 people went to the hospital and another 27 were treated at the building that was closed for five days while the air quality was tested by the city and county, Gary said.
“We’re testing the A/C equipment to try and figure out the source,” he said.
The building was closed “in an abundance of caution,” said Brett Bayag, acting director of the Broward County Office of Regional Communications and Technology.
“The emergency operations plan was begun by the folks at that 911 center,” Bayag said. “They’re now operating out of the centers in Sunrise and Pembroke Pines.”
He said he was unaware of any interruption of service for callers to 911 dispatchers.
email@example.com, 954-356-4233 or Twitter @LindaTrischitta